Thursday, February 19, 2009

Pat Pat Detox

Lincoln has had one best friend since birth, and that is his pat-pat. We have seen a lot of this because he usually only gets it when he goes to bed. We do always have one for public emergencies (in other words, an easy way to get him quiet). I have always wondered how we were going to break this habit. Well, we ended up without a plan because we lost them all and I wasn't going to replace them.


He asked for it a few times but we just kept telling him that we couldn't find it. He would say, "Find him please". We then went 2 nights without it and on the 3rd night he was sitting on my lap and sighed, "I miss my pat-pat", and that was that. His nana said that he had told her that day how much he liked his pat-pat. I thought to myself, this was easier than I thought.

Oh the horror of nights 5 and 6. It didn't help that he wasn't feeling good and he kept asking for it. When we told him that we couldn't find it he just kept pleading with us to find it. He then decided he would go and find it with no luck himself. It was pitiful but I stood my ground (meaning I didn't run out and buy him some more). We'll see how this continues but I am hoping the worst is over. Pat-pat detox has not been quite as hard as I'd imagined and hopefully it doesn't get any worse. Now if we can just get him to sleep in his own bed...........

3 comments:

Shalynn said...

I'm going to miss hearing "Pat Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!" in the background of our phonecalls...maybe :)

amanda torres said...

Well at least you can lose a pat pat. Mason has a thumb...can't lose that...can't chop the end off...can't throw it away! My kid will probaly suck his thumb up until college.

Hopefully your nights are getting easier!

Beam Family said...

Oh how I dread the day that we decide to take Lillie's pacifier away. She is more attached than the other two were. Just breaking her of it during the day has resulted in hour long crying and screaming. Maybe her and Mason can be big baby buddies. Mason can suck his thumb and Lillie her pacifier...no judgement between them.